Bryson has officially become "a stage five clinger"! AKA, my sweet boy is going through some separation anxiety and this has become glaringly obvious these past 2 weeks.
I joined MOPs for the chance to meet other women, to make life long friends. And for Bryson to socialize with other children and make life long friends. I truly did it for both of us. And I had no idea how hard it would be for him. He cries pretty much from the moment I drop him off to the moment I pick him up. I do all the "right" things...taking him into the room and showing him the toys and people and staying with him for 15 minutes before leaving. I pack snacks and pacis and toys to comfort him when I'm away.
And I am consistent. Every Sunday morning, he goes to nursery at church, every Wednesday night, he goes to nursery at church, and every other Wednesday morning, he goes to nursery at MOPs. And still, he is miserably sad without me. Without the familiar face and smell of someone he knows. And that breaks my heart into a thousand pieces....
What's worse is that I feel like some people are judging me for it. Like I should feel guilty that my baby wants me. Loves me so much. Is so comfortable and happy with me. I'm his Mommy. I carried him in my belly for 9 months and have tended to his every need every single day since he was born. I earned that love, that comfort, and that happiness. I work for it every single day. I will never feel guilty for that. While speaking to another Mom about this issue the other day, I remember saying "I guess this is the downside to being a stay at home mom"....I am so kicking myself for that one. I can't believe it even came out of my mouth. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a downside. We have shifted and sacrificed a lot so that I can be at home with our precious baby and future babies and I am beyond grateful.
I will continue taking him to these events to try to get him used to being away from me for short amounts of time. And I won't feel guilty for one moment when they have to come "retrieve" me out of my meetings and bible studies to tend to my sad baby. After all, I am the one he wants and NEEDS when he feels sad...and that's a beautiful thing<3
There is nothing wrong with a child wanting you. I have parented two children exactly the same and one was clingy, one wasn't. Every child is different and has different needs. No parenting style makes a perfect child. We are all doing the best we can for our specific child. Don't let someone judging you bother you. You are a devoted and loving mother. xoxo
ReplyDelete